Our unique dog friendly rating system encourages advertisers to provide a range of services designed to help responsible dog owning guests (and their dogs!). Several of our criteria recommend providing information in a welcome pack (either the routine version for all guests or a special dog pack). We are often asked what these might include. Obviously, there’s no ‘right’ answer but The Masons Arms, Odcombe in Somerset (B&B and pub) recently sent us their version. They have kindly allowed us to reproduce this in case it is helpful for others:
We hope you find the items in this pack helpful, you do not have to use them but I usually manage to forget something when I go away even though we take more luggage for the dogs than ourselves! Dogs are welcome in all areas of the pub, there are free doggy treats on the bar and a water bowl by the back door, but we ask that you keep them on a lead and under control at all times in the bar. You are more than welcome to leave them in your room if you prefer but please do let us know if you will be going out and leaving them in the room. Obviously any damage caused by your dog will have to be paid for in full.
You are welcome to exercise your dog in the campsite off lead but please be aware that there are members of the public here who may not be dog friendly and children who may be frightened as well as my pet bunnies and chickens! Please also clean up after your dog, there is a special bin clearly marked next to my dogs kennel. I have also included some local walks from the pub with a map and I have Ordnance Survey maps available if you want to venture further.
The following telephone numbers might be useful during your stay;
• Pet supplies at the Pet Food Takeaway 01935 432508
• Local dog groomers, Hamdon Dog grooming 01935 822468 or Posh Pooches 01935 412000
• Kingston Veterinary Group 01935 421177
• Day kennels on Ham Hill, Animals at Home 01935 823591
The following items are available to borrow, please just ask at the bar;
• Shampoo, sponge, bucket and towels. There is also a hose in the campsite just past the brown shed!
• Dog agility equipment, only the garden type not the expensive stuff!
• We can wash any towels or bedding for you
• A fork or spoon for dog food
• Holiday dog tags
• Biodegradable dog poo bags
• Spare leads or collars to fit most dogs!
• Torch for you and ‘flashies’ to attach to your dogs collar
We hope you and your four legged friends enjoy your stay with us and please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions and let us know if there is anything we have missed!
Paula & Drew.
© Masons Arms Odcombe